An Apprentice Cook-Butcher Assistant is responsible for preparing food items in accordance with recipes and established standards in the hotel's continuing effort to deliver outstanding service and financial profitability.
What will I be doing?
As an Apprentice Cook-Butcher Assistant, you would be responsible for preparing food items in accordance with recipes and established standards in the hotel's continuing effort to deliver outstanding service and financial profitability. Specifically, you would be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- To ensure that the uniform provided is kept clean, presentable and in good condition, ensuring that personal appearance and hygiene standards are an example for the team
- To ensure that own knives are kept sharp and clean
- To set up daily mise-en-place
- To work as part of the team
- To prepare all meat, fish and garnishes as required
- To receive food items, signing where required
- To cook food ordered in the restaurant, room service and banqueting including a la carte and du jour menus as well as any special requests
- To prepare both hot and cold foods for various sections
- To prepare a variety of hot and cold sauces
- To clean and maintain all work areas in accordance with health and hygiene standards
- To collect items from cold rooms and dry stores and to inform supervisors if store stock levels are low
Set up food stations by following chef's orders
Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens fryers,mixers, choppers, toasters, steamers, and ovens.
Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the restaurant's policies
What are we looking for?
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
- Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
- Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
- Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities.
- Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do.
- Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions.
- Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
- Customer Focus
To be successful in this role, the candidate must also demonstrate:
- High school diploma/GED required, minimum required
- Culinary school 2 to 4 year degree from vocational or technical school or university
- ServeSafe Certification preferred
- Able to read and follow standardized recipes
- Strong knowledge of proper food handling procedures
- Able to work as part of a team in a busy kitchen atmosphere
- Outstanding communication skills, both written & verbal.
- A confident & dynamic speaker, able to communicate and interact effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Enthusiastic and positive personality with the ability to build trusting relationships with others.
- Proven organizational skills, works well on their own.
- Able to set and meet deadlines with quality results.
Hand-Eye Coordination: Cooking requires great knife skills, proximity to fire and many dangerous elements. A steady hand will help you greatly.
Sense of Taste and Smell: Knowing when food has gone bad, understanding proper seasoning and what tastes good will help you attract customers.
Stamina: Kitchen hours can be long and grueling. You will need to be able to stand on your feet for long periods and lift heavy objects from storage.
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!